I’m recruiting PhD , Master by Research, and Honours students under my supervision or co-supervision. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in the areas of interactive information retrieval, cognitive information retrieval, user-Web/Internet interactions, human information behaviour, human-information interactions, and library and information management in general.
It is my great pleasure to meet and work with good research students (hard workers who are passionate about research and determined to pursue high-quality publications!). Passion does come as the no. 1 thing!
I enjoy taking advantage of strengths of each individual student. I always seek common goals with my PhD students.
I supervise 9 PhD students at the University of South Australia with 6 completions. They are 6 PhD students in Library & Information Management, 1 PhD student in Information Systems and 2 PhD students in Computer Science.
I also supervise 9 international visiting scholars including 5 postdoc researchers and 4 PhD students under joint programs.
From a broad perspective, I may classify PhD projects under my supervision into information studies. This is because all their topics are down into the areas of human information behaviour, web search, human-information interactions, collaborative information retrieval, and public library services. The titles of these PhD projects can be found below. More specifically, 4 of these PhD projects are interdisciplinary studies – my collaboration with researchers in the disciplines of computer science, neurocomputing engineering, and information systems.
- Abu Shamim Mohammad Arif (Principal supervision, Australian Government APA Scholarship holder, completed in 2015. Now an Associate Professor at Khulna University, Bangladesh)
- Thesis title: Collaborative information retrieval in tourism: a study of user behaviour, user interface and system evaluation
- Faisal (Co-supervision, Indonesian Government Scholarship holder, completed in 2015)
- Thesis title: Mobile collaboration technology implementation framework in engineering asset organisations
- Safiroutu Khoir (Principal supervision, Australia Awards scholarship holder, completed in 2016. Now a Lecturer at the Universitas Gadjah Mada, Indonesia)
- Thesis title: An information behaviour perspective into Asian immigrants’ settlement processes in South Australia: Investigating their everyday life information seeking and the value of public library services
- Hedayetul Islam Shovon (Co-supervision, UniSA UPS scholarship holder, completed in 2016)
- Thesis title: Identification of cognitive activity in EEG during cognitive tasks including web search
- Sara Salehi (Co-supervision, UniSA IPS scholarship holder, completed in 2017. Now IT consultant at Ernst & Young, Melbourne)
- Thesis title: Effect of personalised search on students in an e-learning environment
- Anisha Fernando (Co-supervision, UniSA IPS Scholarship holder, thesis corrections in June 2017)
- Thesis title: Privacy-enhanced personalisation of Web search
Currently supervise 4 PhD students:
- Jannatul Fardous (from August 2014, Australian Government APA Scholarship holder)
- Thesis title: Invesigating mobile media users’ behaviours in tourism collaborative information retrieval
- Jelina Haines (from February 2015, Australian Government APA Scholarship holder)
- Thesis title: Researching the knowledge journey practices of Indigenous Elders and the younger generation: A community-based participatory study
- Irvan Muliyadi (Principal supervision, Ministry of Religious Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia scholarship holder, 2017-)
- Thesis title: Academics’ information journey
- Mouda Ye (Principal supervision, UniSA International Research Tuition Scholarship (IRTS) and ARC DECRA Living Allowance Scholarship holder, 2017-)
- Thesis title: Understanding small groups of Chinese tourists’ information behaviour during planning and visiting Australia
Visiting Postdoc Research Fellows:
- Dr Abu Shamim Mohammad Arif, Khulna University, ongoing (funded by Du ARC grant)
- Associate Prof Fang Xu, Soochow University, Mar-Sep 2017 (funded by Jiangsu Province Scholarship Council)
- Jianzhen Zhang, Shanxi Research Institue, Aug 2016-Aug 2017 (funded by Shanxi Province Scholarship Council)
- Associate Prof Huijuan Wu, Jilin Dianli University, Jan 2016-Jan 2017 (funded by Jilin Province Scholarship Council)
- Dr Yunfeng Wang, Nanjing Medical University, Dec 2014-Feb 2015 (funded by Nanjing Medical University)
Visiting PhD students:
- Dandan Ma, Nanjing University of Science and Technology, Oct 2014- Oct 2015 (funded by NUST)
- Thesis title: Exploring factors that enable the use of mobile Internet services for information disadvantaged people
- Dongfang Sheng, Nanjing University, Dec 2014 – Feb 2015 (funded by Nanjing University)
- Thesis title: Understanding Link Sharing Tools Continuance Behaviour in Social Media
- Yanqing Shi, Nanjing University, Nov-Dec 2016 (funded by Nanjing University)
- Tingting Zhang, Nanjing University, Oct 2017-Oct 2018 (Sponsored by China Scholarship Council)
Potential students could have the backgrounds of computer science, information science, and (library) information management.
Projects for potential students:
— Immigrant youth and children (Areas: Information Management, Information Behaviour, Information Use, Public Libraries)
— Online multitasking (Mobile multitasking)(Areas: Information Technology, Interactive Information Retrieval, Web Search, User Experience)
— Collaborative Web search (social search)(Areas: Information Technology, Collaborative Information Retrieval, Web Search, Social Media)
— Connecting to knowledge: Accessing information via the Internet by indigenous communities (Areas: Information Technology, Internet Use, Web Search, Information Behaviour, Indigenous People)
Please contact me via email(email@example.com)for details or any inquiries.